Doors were opened at 6:00 pm for a pre-meeting dinner/social hour.
Convener Dale Brady opened the meeting at 7:05 pm. 41 people attended including eight new attendees who were introduced. The group was reminded of the lending library by Beth Reese, and of the sign-in sheet and community map by Dorothy Kengla.
Tom Lewis spoke again of the volatility of the gas and oil industry, financed by junk bonds, and wells being taken out of production.
Tom Kennedy gave the Treasurer’s Report of approximately $275.00 in the bank account, and passed around the donation jar which collected $73.00 to add to that total.
Upcoming meeting topics are:
March: Food Production, High Tunnels - Jim Guy wants to arrange a field trip to Frostburg Grows high tunnels.
April: Sanitation - Andy, Dane & Elle
May: Food Preservation and cooking
- A Spring Expo in Keyser, April 11
- Vince Lombardi will be having a solar installation at his house, including a workshop day.
- March 21-22: TransitionFairfax.com will be having a Transition.us training at George Mason University
- August: Todd Ashelman will be attending a sustainability course in Maine.
- Eagle plans to be offering workshops 1 or 2 times a month on how to live without what we’re used to having, ie. tools, health preparation, beyond prepping.
- Dan Hartsook mentioned it is time for maple syrup collection and preparing shiitake mushroom logs.
- Kathy & Dan Hartsook will be opening a garden center at French’s Mill in the spring. They envision it as a community center where various events will take place.
- Elspeth Odbert asked if anyone had horse manure to give away for garden use.
- Vince will include any announcements in an email to members if the information is sent to him.
The focus topic presentation for the meeting was on A Local Economy, including bartering, trading, time banking, emergency preparedness lists, and the triple bottom line sustainable model for business and life. Presenters were Steve Martin, Vince Lombardi, Todd Ashelman and Dan Hartsook. Details are available on the SustainablePotomacHighlands.com website.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 pm. The next meeting is March 12, 2015.