Discussion centered on gardening techniques. The wet weather is making it hard to get gardens planted and weeds are growing fast. Using black plastic mulch was suggested, as well as rubber mats, which are available for sale in Shanks.
Plans were made for the Reskilling Expo to be held in the fall:
- Include children's games and activities, such as marbles, jump rope
- a Saturday in September, using the Co-op building
- run an ad asking for people to participate, present skills that pre-date use of electricity and gas
- hoping for 20 exhibitors
- Boy Scouts could participate, ie: making fire
- Dale will write newspaper articles
The future of SPH was discussed. In light of diminishing attendance at monthly meetings, we should instead focus on quarterly events. Meetings would be for planning those events, not doing presentations each month. Besides the reskilling expo, other events could be: visiting solar arrays in the area (November?)
- Gardening, canning and food preservation
- Emergency Preparedness
How can we involve the Environmental Club at the High School?
Can we work with Master Gardeners to do a program in Early April 2018? Max Boward, President, Steve Starcher is Extension Agent in Hampshire County.
Are grants still available for high tunnels green houses in WV?
Next meeting is June 8, where we will be planning for upcoming events.